Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Chocolate: Food and Drink of the Gods

Chocolate!

     With my semester long project researching the ritual beverages of the Amazon river basin, and my local impending snow, I thought I'd share a recipe for my favorite Aztec drink, xocolatl.  This spicy warm beverage is the predecessor to our hot chocolate.  Today's Recipe is the work of beloved (at least by me!) Herbal author and mystery writer, Susan Wittig Albert. 
    
     For those not in the know, Susan writes mysteries centering on a small Texas town and the herb shop owner who left her high powered law firm in Texas to open her own shop. 

McQuaid's Hot 'n' Spicy Chocolate
This spicy chocolate beverage is just the thing to drive winter from your cold bones!
1/2 cup Cocoa
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
3/4 tsp Ground clove
1/4 tsp Salt
2 cups Water
6 cups Milk
1 tsp vanilla extract (Learn to make your own Here!)
Whipped cream
Nutmeg
8 Cinnamon Sticks
Blend dry ingredients in large saucepan.  Add water stirring and simmer for 4 minutes.  Stir in milk and reheat.  Whisk in vanilla and pour into warm mugs.  Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with nutmeg.  Add cimmamon stir stick.  Makes 8 1 cup servings.
Learn more about Susan and her friends at her webpage!

1 comment:

Robin Larkspur said...

I have read all the China Bayles books or at least 18 of them. Also Susan's Beatrix Potter series, which I adore.
Thanks for reminding me of this hot cocoa, must try it very soon!

Merry Meet! Please enjoy your stay and have a joyous time browsing around my realm.

Check out my tea selection at http://blackthornhoodooblends.com