Friday, May 12, 2017

The Summer of Lavender (syrup) and Mugwort

The Summer of Lavender and Mugwort

      This coming summer, I have plans.  We all do, I'm sure.  I'm finishing my book, and so many other projects during the heat of the summer.  I've been harvesting mugwort already for tincture, for smudge sticks, and my "Firm Boundaries" incense, that I'm sure will pop up on my Etsy shop.  

     What will help me get my growing list of "To Do"s done?  Tea.  Glorious tea.  You all know I've got a tea shop.  This isn't about that.  It's all about the lavender.  Or rather, that tasty, tasty home made lavender syrup.  

     I use vanilla sugar in the winter time. Just add a whole vanilla bean to your sugar jar.  It'll attract wealth and happiness to your home, and tastes incredible.  If you'd like to make ahead, cut a vanilla bean in half with scissors.  Place it in a glass Ball pint jar and fill with sugar and seal.  I make these to give at Yule!

     But once the weather turns warm, I can't get enough of my lavender.  Lavender soda from DRY brand is divine.  I can count on both hands the sodas I drink in a year, and half of them are lavender soda.  My lavender syrup is the perfect homey touch for tea that keeps me on task.

     Lavender simple syrup is as easy as making traditional simple syrup because any sugar recipe can be made a lavender recipe. Simply add one teaspoon lavender buds per one cup sugar.  Sugar cookies become Lavender Sugar cookies.  Lemonade becomes Lavender lemonade.  

     Lavender simple syrup, just heat two cups water with two teaspoons lavender buds and two cups sugar.  Bring to a boil, stirring often. Boil two minutes and remove from heat.  Allow to cool completely before bottling. Some choose to remove the lavender buds before bottling. That is a personal choice.  Store in the refrigerator.  Add to any beverage you might sugar, coffee, tea, etc. 



No comments:

Merry Meet! Please enjoy your stay and have a joyous time browsing around my realm.

Check out my tea selection at http://blackthornhoodooblends.com