Saturday, October 29, 2016

Subscription Box Review: The Crone's Crate

The Crone's Crate
A million stars
Photo by Amy Blackthorn
     Wow.  The first thing that hit me was the smell of...Lemon. Lemongrass, no.  Lemon verbena? No.  Lemon Balm? Probably.  Either way, yum. 

Photo by Amy Blackthorn
       So back to the beginning.  I've known of Nui Cobalt Designs for a few years.  This company sells a lot of exclusive-to-them items.  Custom astrological jewelry, hand rolled beeswax ritual candles etc.  

     A few months ago I started talking to the head of the company, Forest.  She messaged me about custom teas for her shop.  I was a little star struck, I'm embarrassed to admit. I was (and still am) so excited for this collaboration.  So when I signed up for the Crone's Crate I had NO idea she'd be featuring my very own tea!  I didn't find out until there was a scroll in my hand announcing my tea.  So, I can't be totally objective in reviewing my own tea.  That being said, I still wanna tell you how fantastic the rest of the box is, and I'll try to be less of a fan-girl the rest of the post.  

      I love the antique fabric patterned tissue paper.  For a celebration centered around ancestor veneration, the antique feel works for me. By now my whole living room smells like this wonderful lemon fresh fragrance. I'm looking forward to figuring out what is making that delightful smell.

     I see my tea! You see she sells it on her website. 

Black Cat Uncrossing Incense cones- Naughty Faery Creations 
      Okay, this is likely the source of the amazing smell.  Smells like a homemade Vanvan oil.  I'm lighting one right now, because the clean lemon smell is really helping my busy brain.  
     Half hour later: I've lit this incense cone four times.  It won't burn.  Instead of seeing the white ash of burned incense it's just black. I think I'm just going to let these cones dry a bit more.  They may be too wet with oil to burn properly yet. 


 Samhain perfume from Arcana Wildcraft
      This is a warm spicy perfume.  Absolutely some cardamom in here.  Cloves and cinnamon are along for the ride.  This is a great fall scent.  In the day of fake pumpkin spice latte flavored lives, this is a blend that is warm enough to stand alone while still honoring the spicy fall weather. I'll wear this all winter.


Selenite Wand from Nui Cobalt Designs

   I love working with selenite wands.  I have a few.  It can be hard to find pieces this size and shape so I'm really excited to have it.
     Our friend the protection mojo owl- Nui Cobalt Designs 
     I can feel crystals and star anise.  Smells warm and fulfilling.  I don't usually trust other folks' magic as a general rule, but this feels alive.  I'm more than happy to start carrying this happy little owl and the mojo within. 

Sun: Bright by Blackthorn Hoodoo Blends, exclusively for Nui Cobalt Designs.

Sun: Bright- Delightfully ablaze, this Rooibos Orange and Lemon base brings Vanilla Honeybush tea and Blood Orange for a bright, creamy treat! 

The mini pumpkin (real, not plastic) and the silk leaves that go with it are going on the Samhain altar.  Adorable.

 8" Black Moon Candle- 
Nui Cobalt Designs 
From the label:
      This proliferate candle is teeming with generative force, and fierce fecundity. It nourishes and protects the seeds of ardent intention, filling them with raw vitality. It's a master of manifesting, propelling invocations toward swift and complete fulfillment... so be careful what you wish for. 




Villaness Soaps:
Samhain Soap
     The same shop that brought us the Samhain perfume, that's currently warming my wrists, created a scent for the Samhain soap, (made by Villaness Soaps) is a palm based blend of oudh woodsmoke, a soft tobacco, pumpkin and hay.  I smell the oudh through the plastic shrink wrap.  Those of you who read my perfume review from the last post know how much I love Oudh wood.  It's used to make ceremonial drums by aborigines  in Australia and New Zealand.  I'm putting this in the shower now because any time I can smell like I've been near a bonfire is a good time.  

     Final thoughts: Good value.  I bought this not knowing what was going to go in it.  All I knew was the care and time Forest puts into the things she makes.  That was good enough for me.  Arcana makes some really neat stuff, I've bought things she's made in the past and never been disappointed.  She's got a good thing going here, and even if she never bought another tea from me as long as I lived, this is a crate I'd happily see in my mail.     

2 comments:

jacksilvas said...

Now that you're already aware of some basic but important thinks in custom sized custom subscription boxes, here's a list of what you need to consider next.

Iqbal Mohammad said...

Online perfume store

ScentGod is the best place to buy designer & luxury perfumes online in Australia. Find over 250 perfumes online with us. Try a different perfume every month from just $17.45/ month.

to get more - https://www.scentgod.com.au/

Merry Meet! Please enjoy your stay and have a joyous time browsing around my realm.

Check out my tea selection at http://blackthornhoodooblends.com