Thursday, October 27, 2016

Samhain in the Realm of Perfume #BlackbirdBallard #BPAL

Samhain in the Realm of Perfume
     
     For those of you who know me, one of my hobbies is perfume.  Natural, essential oil based, perfumes.  Of course the natural part.  I worked for LUSH Cosmetics for five years, I've been working on a master aromatherapist program for what feels like forever (years at least).  While I've been writing a proposal for an aromatherapy book I've allowed myself to remember what draws me to perfume.  
    
     Samhain.  (Pronounced Sow-en, Sow-wan etc).  As a baby witch the incense was always my favorite part about rituals with my first coven.  The alchemy of scent.  The way scents can change a mood, a feeling, or even the tension in a room is such a potent tool.  So in honor of my connection to the last harvest, I'm bringing you some perfumes today.  I have no connection to these perfume companies.  I don't work for them, I'm not a paid shill, and I didn't get these for free in exchange for a review.    

      The first set is a new company for me.  I have hundreds of perfumes from our second company, Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.  I've been collecting them for over 12 years. This new (to me) company, Blackbird, appeared on my Facebook feed probably two months ago.  The ad featured a perfume called Targa (formerly Taiga).  The notes screamed at me.  They were ALL favorites.  Seemed like ever wood and smoke note I'd ever loved, including several types of frankincense. I HAD TO have it.  I tagged all my perfume friends in the post because it sounded so incredible.  

     When the bottles arrived in my priority shipping box, I loved the packaging.  It's that white crinkle cut paper that is more cushioning than bubble wrap.  The bottles are so thick and heavy for a moment I thought they were metal.  Just sturdily built glass.  Which is great because I've been really clumsy lately.  

 TARGA: Cold incense and woods burning in the distance of a frozen modern terrain. Targa harnesses earth's primal smoke and restructures it to feel fresh and contemporary in our ever evolving world.
SCENT NOTES: Guaiacwood, Teak, Oud, Copaiba Balsam, Indian Frankincense, Cedar, Black Pepper, Nutmeg, Choya Loban, Nagarmotha, Omani Frankincense, Sandalwood, Green Peppercorn, Smoke, Oak, Cistus, Ambrette, Myrrh, Davana, Helichrysum, Geranium, Vetiver, Caraway, Opopanax
     My thoughts: I pulled off the cap and sniffed the bottle.  WOW.  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  I have high perfume standards.  I expect a lot from perfume and Blackbird went above and beyond.  Wet on the bottle, I smell helichrysum, green peppercorn and smoked nutmeg.
     I sprayed a squirt on my arm and holy gods I'm in rapture. After a minute of dry down: Nagarmotha, cedar and allll the frankincense.
     Two hours later, I still smell like the world's sexiest bonfire.  Really.  The smoke notes aren't overpowering.  It's just warm, woody and very deep.  Lots of oudh, teak and sandalwood still humming along my skin. I should smell like this every day.  In my "five second review" I gave a bestie and fellow perfume worshipper, I think I used the F word 37 times, and it still wasn't enough.  I'm contemplating buying a second bottle before the seconds sale they are having, ends. 
     Pipe Bomb- 

SCENT NOTES: salt water, metal, amber
DETAILS: At first, all you can smell is a faint spark; something sharp and bright leading down the fuse to a fragrant explosion. Literally, this perfume starts very quiet and takes about ten minutes for the fuse to burn down. Synthesized with the finest raw materials, Pipe Bomb moves from scent to scent within its composition, dazzling with each shift. Like an underwater firecracker bundled with incense, light saltwater notes meld with hot metal to create an inviting, warm glove that shapes differently to fit each wearer's hand. Legal in all 50 states.
    Bottle Sniff- herbs and amber.
     Wet on Skin- They're right about the fuse burning down.  When I first sprayed it on my skin, I didn't smell much of anything.  It was confusing at first.
     Ten minute dry down- They suggested a ten minute dry down so I did that instead of a five.  The smell of cedar shavings is the first thing to bloom on my skin.  It's delightful.  I adore wood notes (see above, lol).  This is a lot of wet cedar smell. I can taste it on the back of my tongue (in the good way). The sense memory I get is cedar bedding in the pet store. Happy.
     I'm headed to the gym, so we'll see what happens to the scent with some heat on my skin.
    I got a compliment on my perfume walking out of the gym after lifting weights for a half hour and cardio for a half hour.  This perfume is incredible.
     An hour later the fiery amber has come out swinging.  The amber is the reason I bought the perfume in the first place. It's my favorite. 
     Three hours later, the amber is still going strong.  The cedar has taken a back seat but hasn't left the car yet.  I'm calling this one a winner. 
Iroko
SCENT NOTES: sandalwood, teak, dry cedar
DETAILS: Smooth, soft woods layer with crisp, sharp woods to create a the perfect woody fragrance that wins you over by juxtaposing a hint of danger over a bed of comfort. Iroko is a tree commonly referred to as the African Teak, although it is not a part of the teak family. 
My Thoughts: 
     Wet: the woods are so clean and dry it almost has a squeaky note to it (sounds weird but it's a good thing). The sandalwood is currently top dog.  
     Ten minute dry down the cedar is starting to warm up to the sandalwood.
     Three hours later, the teak is the winner, but we are the real winners.  The sandalwood and cedar are in perfect balance.  It blends so harmoniously, so much that it's almost trying to tell my brain that theres a floral note in there, when there isn't.  I adore it.  
SCENT NOTES: incense, benzoin, frankincense, oud, marzipan
DETAILS: An awe-inspiring, divine aroma whose ingredients have been used by royalty and religious practitioners for centuries. Notes of warm benzoin and rich oud at the base escalate clear through the heart and top of the fragrance, counteracted by the subtle, bright edge of frankincense. This is a sophisticated and evocative, resinous and incense scent to be enjoyed by men and women alike.
My Thoughts: 
     Wet: The Benzoin is cool enough it almost smells like pine at first.  The frankincense sort of saunters in on the back of your nose.  
     Ten Minute dry down: MMMMM.  That's actually the first three things I said when I smelled it at the ten minute mark.  I smell the almond notes starting to come forward.  The warm resin smells are rapturous.  Normally I expect Oudh to be overpowering and that it hasn't shown its face yet, is very telling.  These really are blended masterfully.  
      Hour and a half dry down: More incense, and the Oudh had really come into its own scent.  Nothing is competing it's all singing one harmonious song.  I wish I had incense that smelled like this. 


Photo by Amy Blackthorn
     While I was perusing their site I found "incense pyres".  There's a reason for the fancy title.  These are better than any incense cones I've ever tried.  I normally don't like the charcoal based cones because they are not very forgiving to my asthma.  I just smell charcoal.  Not so, here.  There sample sets of their incense can be found here.

SCENT NOTES: frankincense, warm resins, spice
DETAILS: Blood Countess is a warm, resinous, and spicy home fragrance where classic biblical incense is joined by dragon's blood resin to warm your spirits and bring back the glow of youth. The name Blood Countess was inspired by the dragon's blood resin contained within and the famous serial killer Countess Elizabeth Báltory de Ecsed who bathed in the blood virgins to reverse the aging process. Made in the USA.
My Thoughts: This warm frankincense blend is incredible.  I swear I had almost a hint of cherry, which I get with REALLY GOOD quality dragon's blood resin.  Everything is so warm and inviting, I'll have to order more of these ASAP.  I ordered a sample, which is 2 cones for $1 and I'm kicking myself for not ordering more.  This is so good, I'm going to have to re-evaluate their selection of incenses because this was above and beyond. 

Photo by Amy Blackthorn
  1. Samhain Hair Gloss Warm leaves, bonfire smoke and a hint of candy corn.  My hair smells amazing all the way into the shower.  Lasts forever.  
  2. Vampire Red Hair Gloss: Red musk. Reminds me of dried cherries and incense. Mmmmmmm. 
  3. The Gallows Ghost atmosphere spray x2: I accidentally bought two of these. The plan was to sell one on the fourm. This is so good I am tempted to keep both. Wet sloppy snow and loamy dirt. I love perfumes that smell like dirt. Having a room spray is perfect.
  4. The actor Ichumura Meeting a Cat Ghost atmosphere spray: warm tonka and vanilla come on first. Lavender clove as a spicy warm after thought. 
  5. Raven Black Hair Gloss (black, inky musk and cedar furniture lovingly rubbed with beeswax polish.)
  6. Lilith's Hair Gloss: Hooray lavender! Reminds me of Lush's Twilight perfume. Bright lavender, not soapy at all.  
  7. Honeyed Apple perfume (Meadow foam honey drizzled over a sweet, red, ripe apples)
  8. Witch Dance Perfume: Incense, bonfire smoke and happy people dancing around the fire.
  9. Lavender Pumpkin Floss (more pumpkin less lavender than expected. Light and sweet. The lavender disappears quickly on my skin and I'm left with warm pumpkin spiced bread.)
  10. Third Charm perfume: Omg yes! Incense and amazing. Smells like an old school occult shop.
  11. Yellow pumpkin floss (LEMON SCENTED STICKY pumpkins. Lemon tarts dusted with pumpkin sugar) 
Freebie Imps with purchase:
  1. Namaste: Lemon and pine very clean smelling.  If cleaning is your zen, this perfume is for you.
  2. Night Gaunt: Sweet ripe summer fruits and persimmon
  3. Tweedledum: Ripe, warm, banana bread.  
  4. Shattered: A high pitched citrus. 
  5. Tamora: Sultry. Smells like red musk and dragons blood
  6. Sherlock Holmes: Pipe tobacco, oil paint, and dirt. Yum!
  7. Bathsheba: My mom's expensive bubble bath from childhood.  I though all adults should smell this good.
  8. Stimulating Sassafrass Stengthener- root beer soda and pine wood smoke
  9. Arkham: smells like a candy from childhood. Yellow necco wafers maybe. 
  10. Incantation incense resins burning in a copper censor 
  11. Dragon's Musk: dragon's blood, and a watery musk note. Cooler smelling rather than warm.
Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab owns all their stuff.  You can buy their perfumes (including sample sizes, called Imp's Ears), at their website: https://blackphoenixalchemylab.com  I highly recommend the search function.  It'll help narrow the choices, they have thousands of perfumes for around $20 a pop. Essential oils in Jojoba oil base. 

The Hair Gloss, Atmosphere Sprays and other scented goodies including amazing yoga pants, heretical tee shirts, scent lockets candles and more at their sister site: https://blackphoenixtradingpost.com

No comments:

Merry Meet! Please enjoy your stay and have a joyous time browsing around my realm.

Check out my tea selection at http://blackthornhoodooblends.com