Monday, October 10, 2016

Book Review: Magical Destinations of the Northeast

Review: Magical Destinations of the Northeast 
Five Stars
Photo by Amy Blackthorn
From the back cover: Every state in America has sacred sites―places that change you, heal you, and make you feel alive. Magical Destinations of the Northeast details more than 300 spiritual destinations perfect for meditation, magic, and just plain fun. This hands-on guidebook also includes spells and rituals and provides tips for the magical uses of official state plants, flowers, gems, minerals, and trees.
There are pockets of magic to be found everywhere―places that make you stop in your tracks as powerful energies speak to your soul. This book is filled with awe-inspiring destinations, featuring little-known gems, natural landscapes, and manmade creations, as well as Native American and African American heritage sites. With everything from witch’s temples to Druid circles, spiritualist communities to mysterious stones, this book will make your next trip a truly magical journey.
Features more than 300 destinations in:
• Maine
• Vermont
• New Hampshire
• Massachusetts
• Rhode Island Connecticut
• District of Columbia
• Maryland
• Delaware Pennsylvania
• New Jersey 
• New York
-------------------  
     Can I tell you how much I really enjoyed reading this?  Cover to cover.  I've been following the exploits of Natalie Zaman, the Wandering Witch, for what seems like, ever.  Natalie and I both wrote for Thorn Magazine for a while, so we'd run into each other at functions and so when I read her column I was always able to read her adventures in her voice.  
     This book reads just the same.  A warm voice, with a conspiratorial tone that says, "I know where all the best secrets are."  She really does know them, hidden nooks in DC to the forests of Maine.  They tell their secrets to Natalie and she lets us in on the secrets in this book. 
     I'll admit, I've never read a travel book all the way through before.  The ones I'v picked up in the past were simply to thumb through, glance at the town where I was and pick a spot.  I think that's changed after reading this.  What incredible finds am I missing by not making plans when I travel?
     I love to travel, but I hate travel plans.  I like to wing it.  I'm the kind of traveler (never tourist) who wants to immerse myself in wherever I find myself.  I'll throw a bag in my Xterra, or on the back of my motorcycle and go where the road bends.  So reading and reviewing a travel book almost seemed anathema.  
      This isn't a travel book.  Or rather, it's not like anything you're used to.  This is part diary of the journey that is life.  It is part spell book.  It is also a really fantastic road trip story, waiting to happen.  
     "Oh my god, remember that time...?"  Yes.  We do. Starting in Washington DC and heading North, by Northeast. 
     This book has the feel of a well loved map in the back of the family van.  Only instead of merely creasing with age, it points out a wide variety of sacred places for friends, family and loved ones to carve out new memories.  There's even a little Witch guiding you across the bottom of the pages as she flies from the far left, to far right, the further north you get.  
     Inside you'll find not just locations, (what fun would that be?) you'll find people.  You'll find yourself.  You'll find history.  
  1. Enchanting Emblems- The official stuff.  The state bird, bug, rock or other item that really will help you get a feel for the state.
  2. Bewitching Tidbits- You know you want the juicy gossip!  What's the history worth knowing? Which places are really haunted, versus just play for tourists.
  3. Magical Monuments- Not just the ones we're told to check out.  Sacred spots for statues too.
  4. Sacred Sites and Magical Spots- Public temples, and other sacred spots that are welcome to respectful public. The list of festivals in these states is impressive.  I've already added several to my calendar! 
  5. Map Some More Magic- On site fun! Other things of interest that are close by.  
  6. Find a...- If you don't live in the Northeast, how you can bring some magic nearby.  Delaware has a lavender farm that I have visited previously, but there are lavender farms all over the country.  My friend Julie tells me there are some spectacular ones in Washington state.  
  7. Stop By for a Spell- There's a spell, a meditation or a story for each state! 
    What you don't see is too many shops. While they are an important part of the communities surrounding these sacred sites, the sad reality of the internet age is that it can be even more difficult for brick and mortar stores to stay open.  The turnover rate is such that even if Ms. Zaman triple checked the store's info, by the time the book came to print, 1/3 of those shops could be closed. So absolutely, check around the places you'll be visiting, because there's probably a witchy shop near there that could really use your tourism dollars. 
     One of the things that I really adore about this book, isn't just that it contains history, lore, love and workings.  It is the fact that it lends itself to being a tour guide for my own backyard.  There are plenty of places in this book that I either haven't heard of before this, or were too busy to stop and check out.  Now that I now they're there, I'll relish not only playing wandering witch on my own, but planning road trips with friends. 

     There are still a few states in this book that I haven't explored yet, and Magical Destinations reminds me that there are plenty of unexplored spaces to roam!

     If you don't have a local store that stocks Llewellyn's publications, you can find a copy on Amazon.  


Win your own AUTOGRAPHED copy!

Photo by Amy Blackthorn
The author has given me two copies to give away!  One copy will be given away here.  Simply share this blog with your friends, and let us know you did.  Extra entries for every social media you hit.  Facebook? Check!  Twitter?  Check! Instagram? Check! Google Plus? Check!  

The other copy will be given away on the snarky, fun Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/ThugWitchcraft/ Just LIKE the page and Share; come back here to tell me you did!

Deadline for Likes, Comments and Shares is October 17th at 11:59 pm Eastern. 

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @morriganswitch and instagram too! http://www.instagram.com/amyblackthorn/

*Full disclosure- I've read this book prior to its release.  I took the author photo. http://www.facebook.com/AmyBlackthornPhoto/

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I shared the link on Facebook! This looks really lovely and to be a fascinating read!

Angela Crescent Moon said...

Liked and Shared :)

Unknown said...

Liked and shared!

Kristina said...

Liked and shares!

greenfaery25 said...

I liked and shared via Facebook! This looks intriguing!

Amy Blackthorn said...

You won! Please leave a comment with a method to contact you for your prize!

Merry Meet! Please enjoy your stay and have a joyous time browsing around my realm.

Check out my tea selection at http://blackthornhoodooblends.com